in Berlin, Germany
Research engineers work on a broad set of real-world practical problems of massive scale that will have a direct and significant business impact. If you have a good idea, you will have the tools to calculate it, the data to test it, and +19 million of Zalando users to benefit from the results. Join the team in Berlin! Read more about Zalando
- Research, design and implement algorithms to improve our optimization engines
- Write code that your peers praise for its elegance and readability
- Communicate effectively with our engineering and data science teams and use agile processes
- Be accountable for all aspects of your work, from research and analysis to testing and deployment
- Play a critical role on the team as a creative research engineer working on key results
- Understand and communicate effectively with internal business customers, partners, and stakeholders
- Think abstractly and discover correlations between problems, methodologies, and solutions.
- Implement possible solutions, evaluate outcomes, and update research direction according to business goals and constraints
- Follow a feature through its entire lifetime from problem formulation to solution delivery
- A degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics or other similar quantitative field (Ph.D., M.Sc.)
- At least three years of professional/academic programming experience in an object-oriented language or Scala
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and a demonstrated ability to find creative solutions to algorithmic problems
- Knowledge of graph theory, combinatorics and optimization methods
- Experience in mathematical or algorithmic research
- Willingness to work with microservice architecture, distributed systems and RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of current trends in software design, architecture and web services
- Effective communication skills and ability to understand business requirements
- Deep skepticism of—plus the ability to identify and debunk—buzzword mumbo jumbo, false assumptions and analysis
- Fluent English
- Preferred: Experience with building and/or running large-scale applications
- Preferred: Demonstrated expertise and desire to work hands-on in analyzing and modeling large data sets
- Competitive salary, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, public transport discounts, relocation assistance for internationals, free drinks and fruits, hardware of your choice.
- Tour of Mastery, extensive onboarding, personal branding support, opportunity to attend and speak at data science conferences and meetups, and encouragement to publish work.
- Tech culture of trust and empowerment, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, +100 internal technical and fun guilds, tech talks, product demos, Coderdojos, parties and events.
- Self-organized, autonomous teams and flexible working hours.
- Unparalleled levels of data and opportunities.
Zalando Technology is one of the most collaborative places you can imagine. Partnerships happen with all key engineering and product teams, the Zalando Research unit, and with the international tech community outside of Zalando. We are looking for research engineers to work on a broad set of real-world practical problems of massive scale that will have a direct and significant business impact.
As a research engineer at Zalando, you will conduct algorithmic research, plus design and build the optimization engines for all logistics operations. Your solutions will save millions of Euros and improve customer experience with faster package deliveries. You will have the freedom to challenge our status quo and help us define best practices for how we work.
Please note that this role requires you to be based in our Berlin office. We welcome applicants from all over the world and will provide visa sponsorship for the right candidate.
About Zalando in Berlin, Germany
Zalando is Europe’s leading online fashion platform, with about 19 million active customers in 15 countries. Our tech department has built most of our platform in-house, using open source and cutting-edge technologies such as Scala, Cassandra, Clojure, and React.js. We work in small, agile, autonomous teams and follow principles that enable us to produce the most delightful shopping experiences possible.
What does it take to become “a Zalando”? Above all, it requires passion: to experiment, learn, fail, and repeat the process, so that we get stronger and better every day. Zalando Tech includes men and women from more than 50 different nations and representing a seemingly endless number of interests, hobbies, programming language preferences, personality types and other characteristics. What unites us is the energy and enthusiasm we share in tackling our common purpose: to deliver award-winning, best-in-class shopping experiences to our 19 million active customers.
Moving to Germany
If you hold the passport of a visa-free country, you can start working in Germany within 14-60 working days. If you need a visa to enter Germany, the visa processing time will be added to that.