in Tallinn, Estonia
You're a talented linguist equally proficient in Mandarin Chinese and English. You want to use your skills to educate the world, and you love the idea of living in the infinitely charming city of Tallinn. Welcome to Lingvist! Read more about Lingvist
- Create a Mandarin Chinese module for English speakers
- Edit/translate existing language content from English to Chinese (or from Chinese to English)
- Communicate with early users to advise them and get immediate feedback
- Prepare new language exercises and activities in Lingvist software
- Help find relevant educational resources (print publications, listening material, etc.)
- Native Mandarin Chinese (and native proficiency in English, preferably bilingual profile)
- Degree in linguistics
- Desire to perform a wide variety of tasks
- Strong computer literacy (proven experience)
- Enthusiasm for enhancing language-learning methodologies
- Exceptional candidates will have any or some of the following qualities:
- Native speaker of both Chinese and English
- Advanced proficiency in the following languages is highly desirable (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese etc)
- Previous teaching experience is an advantage
- Degree in second language acquisition methodology and/or technology-enhanced language learning
- Experience in developing language learning and/or teaching materials
- Experience in running and evaluating user studies, including recruiting users
- Experience in online language education
- Experience in corpus linguistics
- Experience working in a technical environment with engineering and product teams
Compensation & Benefits
- We offer you a salary commensurate with your skill and experience level.
We’re looking for a brilliant Chinese/English linguist to join our team as soon as possible. Our dream teammate is someone with the ability to balance between “good enough now” and “perfect, but too late”. Someone who knows what teamwork is all about. Someone who gets things done with minimal supervision. Does that sound like you?
We want to see your positive can-do attitude, your pragmatic approach to things, and your fierce intelligence. We want to be amazed by your creativity, adaptability, honesty and passion for personal improvement and self-development.
About Lingvist in Tallinn, Estonia
Lingvist is building the next generation of language learning software. We believe that we can make learning 10x faster using adaptive technology and AI methods. We have already achieved remarkable traction towards this goal.
The Lingvist prototype was created at CERN by one of our co-founders, employing the machine learning algorithms that were used to discover the Higgs boson. Soon after, the technical co-founder of Skype and leader of its core technology team joined Lingvist to share his experience in building a world-class company and product. Our team has now grown to 40 members from around the world, bringing together experts from different fields, including
language instruction and education, data science, business, and product development.
Since the company’s founding in 2013, Lingvist has attracted nearly €10M from Nordic investors and the Japanese e-commerce giant Rakuten. We have approximately 1 million users in Asia, Europe, and the Americas, the vast majority of whom have discovered us through word-of-mouth recommendations. In 2017/2018 our goal is to grow our user base and enhance user satisfaction by improving the overall learning experience and designing new learner-centred features.
Life at Lingvist
You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to learn a new language or to work for Lingvist, but you do have to love what you do. We are proud and excited to be experts in our respective fields, whether it’s programming, marketing, design, or linguistics. So although we haven’t all discovered the Higgs boson (our co-founder did that) or built Skype (another co-founder), we are united by a common goal to make difficult things really, really simple for our end users.
Lingvist is a fast-growing, flat, and meritocratic company that has already gained international attention as an alumnus of TechStars London, as well as won the confidence of investors by raising an impressive seed round. We are in a position to scale up, build a strong team, and guide the language-learning industry into the future.
We’re looking for passion for self-learning and self-improvement (whatever your field), honesty, ambitious goals, a sense of humor, and team spirit.
Moving to Estonia
If you hold the passport of a visa-free country, you can start working in Estonia within 24 hours from accepting the job offer, if your new employer is classified as a startup.
If your new employer is not considered a startup, you can start after a maximum of 10 days from accepting the job offer.
If you hold the passport of a country that requires a visa to enter Estonia, you can move and start working within approximately 4 weeks.