Please leave your email to access this job on third-party website
Supported by Work in Estonia
This job posting is a part of Work in Estonia campaign. Apply before September 23rd for an all-expenses paid trip to Estonia, where employers compete to hire and relocate you to the most digitally advanced country in the world. Finalists will be announced in early October!
in Tallinn, Estonia
We are looking for software engineers with an insatiable passion for technology, constant intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn, the ability to communicate well in a team environment, a desire to make our team better with their contributions and, of course, the ability to deliver the right results at the right time. Read more about Microsoft (Skype)
- Join a team responsible for highly scalable distributed cloud services in a dev-ops environment, or a team responsible for end-to-end real-time media across all kinds of devices.
- Be customer-focused with a commitment to high quality end-to-end services through livesite and quality-first culture.
- As part of a unified engineering team, implement both the features and appropriate tests during development.
- Collaborate inside and outside the team, and across remote development locations.
- Mentor and develop others by sharing and learning.
- Participate in code reviews, providing and receiving constructive feedback to improve overall code quality.
- Proactively manage risks and security, and suggest improvements to existing risk-management processes.
- Have fun and learn new things!
- You have programming experience in C#, Java, or C++.
- You have a BSc in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field.
- You have experience designing, implementing and shipping complex enterprise software products/services.
- You are familiar with highly scalable distributed micro services handling thousands of requests per second.
- You have a strong hands-on ability to write secure, reliable and maintainable code and to test and debug it.
- You have experience building large-scale services on cloud platforms such as Azure or AWS.
- You have excellent communication skills, including the ability to write concise technical docs and present ideas.
- You have a passion for software design with a talent for independently solving complex technical problems.
- You have a passion for improving software quality, performance and reliability and engineering excellence.
- You have knowledge of modern engineering practices like automated deployments with integrated quality gates and experience working with modern version control systems like Git.
- You have experience with multithreading and asynchronous processing.
- You have deep knowledge and experience with object oriented design.
- You have experience with pair programming.
- Experience with databases (SQL or noSQL) is a plus.
- Web Application development experience is a plus.
- Hands on experience with configuration and/or controlled experimentation is a plus.
- Experience with multimedia and networking is a plus.
- Experience with multi-platform support is a plus (e.g. Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux).
- Experience with data analysis and machine learning is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
- Apply and let's discuss your salary and benefits.
- We offer life insurance.
- Skype credit – all Skype employees are eligible for Skype credit up to €100 per month.
- Enjoy free food and drinks in the office.
- Stay fit with our fitness, sports or swimming benefits. We also have a gym in the office.
We are building the Intelligent Conversation and Communications Cloud (IC3). We power Microsoft’s first-party real-time conversation products, notably Skype and Teams, which are used by millions of users, by providing reliable and high-quality audio and video calling, meetings, and chat services that work every time, from anywhere, on any device. And we expose our core capabilities to third-party partners, with which they can bring conversations to life in their own products. With IC3, we will enable customers to do more by making conversations on our platform more intelligent, surfacing useful information in real-time and taking actions on the customers’ behalf during the conversation. And, we will learn from each conversation. Every call, meeting, or chat will make the next one better.
Building and running services at scale for Microsoft 365 for hundreds of million consumer and enterprise users is very challenging, but it is a lot of fun and rewarding. We are looking for smart, passionate engineers at many levels to help us do just that to power and deliver on IC3 mission. This opportunity will allow you to make a broad positive impact across many critical IC3 domains such as chat, audio/video calling, meetings, service and data engineering, and service management.
About Microsoft (Skype) in Tallinn, Estonia
Microsoft isn’t just any corporation. We are one of the biggest corporate success stories in history. We are the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world. It’s about fulfilling a promise to enable and empower people in all parts of their lives, be it in a doctor’s office, a classroom, a small business, or an air traffic control tower. Our strategy is to maximize the business impact of global diversity and inclusion to empower our people, transform our culture and delight our customers.
Life at Microsoft (Skype)
Diversity and inclusion are absolutely the heart of our business. Microsoft has always been about recognizing the value that different life experiences and viewpoints bring to our business. We look for curiosity, a collaborative and growth mindset, passion for technology, problem-solving ability, self-drive and initiative. In general, we look for people who can embrace our culture by loving what they do and doing what they love. Curiosity and humility will ensure that you’re always learning, that you’re open to ideas, and that you can feel confident to take risks and embrace challenges—no matter how many times you might fail.
Here in Microsoft’s Estonia Development Center the work opportunities range from Linux and Windows on Azure to real time communication services to engineering tools and systems, and much more. Mostly, we’re building intelligent, cloud-based communication platforms that power Skype, Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams and other Microsoft 365 products. We are using data and machine learning to ensure that every call makes the next one better. We have about 300 people working in our Tallinn and Tartu offices from about 25 different nationalities.
Why should you join us here in Estonia?
• Microsoft is a place to experience exciting and innovative technology, you’ll be working at a global scale alongside the best and brightest talents.
• A rare opportunity to work at a world top-5 tech company whose core focus is software engineering – we have our own operating system (Windows), cloud platform (Azure), frameworks and tools (.NET, C#, Visual Studio) that you and thousands of others are working with every day, making it possible to influence a very wide spectrum.
• Microsoft offers a wide range of world-class benefits designed to help you and your family live life well. We offer competitive pay, bonuses and stock awards to eligible employees based on individual performance, as well as benefits to help you lead a healthy life, save for the future and enjoy your journey here at Microsoft.
• We have been selected several times as one of the most desirable workplaces in Estonia.
Moving to Estonia
If you hold the passport of a visa-free country, you can start working in Estonia within 24 hours from accepting the job offer, if your new employer is classified as a startup.
If your new employer is not considered a startup, you can start after a maximum of 10 days from accepting the job offer.
If you hold the passport of a country that requires a visa to enter Estonia, you can move and start working within approximately 4 weeks.