Senior Web Developer
Mindvalley offers visa sponsorship
Mindvalley will arrange the immigration paperwork required for the winning candidate and cover the associated costs.
in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
As a senior web developer you should have an epic passion for technology, an obsession for quality, 8 years' experience or more and preferably be a Ruby master. Read more about Mindvalley
- Develop interactive, stable, high-quality web applications through the use of HTML/HTML5, CSS3, jQuery and Ruby on Rails for all web mediums.
- Work closely in functional scrum units to execute the vision of the business leaders in terms of functionality and user experience.
- Provide solutions, develop and maintains websites, and other related internal and external activities.
- Help develop IT requirements for web applications including overall tech strategy for the company.
- Respond rapidly to continuous changes and real-time updates required to websites;
- Conduct internal training and knowledge sharing regularly.
- Mentor junior developers to increase their code quality and productivity.
- You have at least 8 years of experience with your favourite language(s) - preferably Ruby.
- You understand current web development standards and software development paradigms.
- You have a proven track record of successfully delivering high-quality web software at scale.
- You have strong interpersonal, communications and presentation skills.
- You have a good understanding of program/project management techniques and styles.
- You are multi-task oriented and very well organised.
- You have proficient analytical skills.
- You have excellent root cause analysis problem-solving skills.
- You have experience managing a team of 3-5 members.
- You work well under pressure developing key features for high-volume business-critical financial systems.
- Apply and let's discuss your salary and benefits.
- Enjoy flexible working hours that fit into your life as you want them to and you'll get to work in a medium size, highly international team.
- Annual trip to paradise island, a team of 100+ folks from 32 countries, killer growth opportunities, and more.
- We have our own 150-seater auditorium that hosts the best tech meetups in our city, meaning tons of growth and connection opps.
- You'll get whatever hardware and software you need to ensure that you can play, create, learn, and grow more every day.
- Mindvalley is a 6 time winner of the World's Most Democratic Workplace Award.
- Work in an office that was voted one of the top ten Coolest Offices in the World in an Inc Magazine audience poll.
- Work on a team that's launching some of the most innovative and highest grossing apps on the iTunes store.
Due to the unique environment that Mindvalley has in terms of having its own ecosystem of applications that support the business, working with us in a technical role is a great challenge.
We generally look for attitude over aptitude when it comes to technical skills, a history of proven execution and excellent root cause analysis problem solving skills are things that we value highly.
We predominantly build apps with an nginx, Unicorn, Ruby, Redis and PostgreSQL architecture on Linode so experience with any of these will be valuable to us.
The technical ecosystem is both interesting and broad covering systems that deal with:
- Payment processing (both check-out and back-end)
- Media streaming (live and repeated)
- Serving websites to large audiences (high concurrency)
- In-house customer service tools
- Financial reporting
- Shipping and logistics
- E-mail handling (sign-ups, cohort analysis etc)
- Authentication, identification and user data collection/analysis
- In-house Textile-based CMS for large number of sites
- Any technical role will provide a good mix of development work, systems thinking, problem solving, business analysis with a large dose of teamwork.
We run functional teams based on the SCRUM methodology and are a fairly Agile environment, with two week sprints and teams with a minimum of two developers (preferably three) plus a platform owner. Sprints cannot be interrupted and work is planned out well in advance to keep stress down to a minimum.
We have a focus on scalability, stability and code quality and we use tools such as Circle-CI and Code Climate to help with that.
Other stuff we do/you will encounter:
- Line by line code reviews for every pull request on Github, this maintains code quality and keeps everyone in the loop and learning.
- At least two people working together on every project (collaborating not pairing).
- Full test coverage for everything important-
- Constant learning (we have learn days, and unlimited book budget, conference/training budget etc.)
You must have a solution-oriented mindset and are always looking for the absolute best solutions to solve problems, and are even more productive in a collaborative team environment. In this role it's essential to be a team player; we succeed because we catch and support each other in our work. In your day to day operations you must appreciate receiving feedback on your work because you know it’ll make you even better at your job and at the same time you will be comfortable assisting your teammates by doing the same in the form of code reviews, general feedback and structured sharing.
Your responsibilities will include designing, architecting, developing and maintaining web applications. Designing, completing and maintaining complex third party integrations and also troubleshooting existing web applications and integrations. Our tech stack predominantly consists of Ruby on Rails, nginx, PostgreSQL, Redis with Linode as the host - production/professional experience with any of these technologies will be a big plus.
This position requires you to be physically located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and is not open to full-time remote working.
Mindvalley is a global brand and company that invests in, creates and builds businesses that align with its goal to push humanity forward. Mindvalley grew from its roots as a digital publishing company, to build a series of successful businesses in a wide variety of sectors ranging from mobile apps, marketing, technology, personal growth and entrepreneurship, to health and wellness. It’s been a fun, crazy ride so far.
Across our companies, we employ over 200 employees from over 40 nationalities, working in our award-winning space, Mindvalley HQ. We’re global, and we sure love diversity. If you join us, we will sponsor your visa/work permit.
We stand for ideas, companies, and products that allow human beings to live healthier, happier lives. From creating and investing in startups and education models that inspire and foster progress and innovation, to creating work cultures that cultivate creativity and freedom—we are ambitiously, ridiculously, and irreverently determined to unleash the full potential of humanity and move the planet forward.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Moving to Malaysia
If you hold the passport of a visa-free country, you can start working in Malaysia within approximately 4 weeks after submitting your application. If you need a visa to enter Malaysia, the visa processing time will be added to that.