Director of Engineering
in Tallinn, Estonia
Do you want to have a significant impact on a thriving startup and the future of a next-generation product in the talent acquisition industry? Be Jobbatical's director of engineering and help build a borderless world! Read more about Jobbatical
- Build, inspire and coach the technology team
- Mentor the technology team in translating the overall strategy into specific objectives, products, and services, to deliver a high-quality product that supports our mission
- Grow and build our technology infrastructure
- Anticipate technology scale and capability challenges and address them with clear plans
- Own and drive technical organization integrity
- Work closely with product management to transform requirements into technical specifications and software designs
- Create a healthy collaborative environment with shared ownership and commitment around product development goals
- Design and implement an effective organizational structure that supports maximum communication and effective execution of initiatives
- Work closely with project management to turn priorities and requirements into plans that optimize resources and set appropriate expectations
- Oversee development of key performance metrics such as site availability and responsiveness, bug response time, code review response time
- Evaluate and optimize the feature prioritization process
- Evaluate and optimize the engineering development lifecycle
- Evaluate and optimize workflows/methodologies
- Build technical strategies and roadmaps for the product
- Help plan and oversee migration from local servers to the cloud
- Interview the entire team to identify areas of concern
- Take over 1-on-1 discussions with the engineering team and data team lead
- Discuss SEO strategy and review SEO architecture
- Discuss analytics strategy, including A/B testing, etc.
- Lead the technical discussions in product planning
- You're familiar with cloud computing, building and managing big data systems.
- You are an excellent communicator in writing and in person, both inside the team and out of it.
- You have the capacity to act as a true mentor and coach for your team.
- You have some experience growing a startup team.
- You'll receive a competitive salary as well as equity options.
- As part of your relocation package, we'll cover your international travel costs, sponsor your visa and work permit, as well as take care of your accommodation for the first month.
- Your health insurance will be covered.
- Your perks will include a monthly allowance for Uber, sports, and books. Our kitchen is always stocked with drinks and snacks, and we brew our own kombucha. His name is Bob.
- We have a fun, flexible work environment where everyone has enough space (both literal and metaphorical) to do their best work. We'll also provide the hardware you need.
If you choose to accept this mission, you'll be the one leading our technical roadmap and taking responsibility for the evolution, development, and delivery of our core platform and architecture. We'll trust you to have what it takes to empower a team and communicate effectively.
You're the kind of person who thinks about tech in business terms, and business in tech terms—you can’t make a tech decision without considering the business implications, or a business decision without thinking of the tech implications.
Our current team is pretty amazing. They’re not just great at coding, they’re incredible people to boot. We want them to grow and feel challenged, as well as have an interesting and manageable workload. That's where your innate leadership ability comes in. You know how to ask the right questions to lead developers and managers to solutions that are elegant, scalable, and exciting.
To fit this team like a glove, you absolutely need to be kind, honest, and humble. If we aren’t honest about where we’re failing, we can’t grow. But if we can’t be kind while being honest, we won’t thrive. And we really want to do both! We believe that humility is one of the keys to great leadership, so massive egos need not apply.
in Tallinn, Estonia
At Jobbatical, we think beyond borders and help the world work together. We believe the world really is your oyster and your next career step could take you to live in your dream city. People want to experience life and work on their own terms and join mission-driven teams, wherever they are in the world. We're a community of like-minded world travelers who believe in a fully connected world where the playing field is leveled and your merit doesn’t depend on your birthplace but on on the size of your dreams.
Our goal is to encourage companies to set aside cultural biases and hire the people with the best skill set for the job. We follow the same principles in recruiting for our own team—we don't discriminate based on nationality, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or anything else that doesn't have anything to do with the role you'll be filling.