Head of Development
Please leave your email to access this job on third-party website
MYJAR offers visa sponsorship
MYJAR will arrange the immigration paperwork required for the winning candidate and cover the associated costs.
in Tallinn, Estonia
Are you reliable and responsible? Do you have solid leadership skills? We're looking for a driven head of development to join our team in Tallinn. Read more about MYJAR
- Support our business objectives and growth by ensuring alignment of technical solutions by providing cost effective, scalable and robust solutions;
- Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer, System and Infrastructure Architects, Information Security Manager and other department heads and executive level management to align the whole development function.
- Provide oversight, planning, and technical direction to Lead Engineers and/or other roles reporting to them, and coordinate with Product Owners, Analysts and other members of the product management team, to ensure successful delivery of projects.
- Provide support and coaching in the process of software architecture and design, code reviews, and people and project management.
- Drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the team, producing clean, healthy and structured, well-documented code.
- Demonstrate through doing – using a hands-on approach with the teams as and when needed.
- Facilitate the decision-making of technology and methodology throughout the team, including standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base development, best practice, source control and deployment processes.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
- Perform due diligence and analysis on third parties and their products and services, and maintain relationships with third parties when needed.
- Act as a line manager and servant leader, responsible for developing people; ensure that your team are growing as engineers, doing great work, and most importantly, enjoying what they do.
- Lead by example, and ensure team members adhere to the standards of professional and ethical behaviour expected of them.
- Manage, evaluate and report on the performance of your team and its members by: communicating objectives, targets and key results; and setting standards and monitoring behavioural and technical competencies.
- Conduct reviews and annual appraisals; provide coaching, mentoring and feedback; and identify the need for corrective actions and addressing poor performance.
- Recommend appropriate training, and suggest other learning and development opportunities.
- Recognise and reward overachievement; and support the effort of creating a performance-based culture.
- Take the ownership of technology teams’ recruitment strategy to ensure resources are available to meet business demands.
- Performing other relevant and reasonable tasks that are necessary for the company’s success.
- You are reliable and responsible.
- You have excellent communication, speaking and listening skills.
- You're able to think analytically and make decisions.
- You are confident and have a proactive attitude; you are able to take the initiative.
- You are focused on output and quality.
- You are well organised and attentive to detail.
- You have a BSc or MSc in computer science or engineering or have equivalent years of experience.
- You have at least 5 years of experience of working in a managerial position within a software development function, preferably in an international and/or regulated environment.
- You have at least 3 years of previous experience as head of development, VP of engineering, software development manager, or in a similar role.
- You have good knowledge of Node.js and PHP.
- You have working knowledge of Agile software development processes.
- You have strong leadership skills and experience in managing and developing software engineering teams.
- You have strong technical skills, including experience developing secure, high-volume, consumer-facing web applications, and building highly scalable distributed systems based on microservice and cloud application architectures.
- You are fluent in English, both oral and written.
Compensation & Benefits
- Apply and let's discuss your salary and benefits.
About MYJAR in Tallinn, Estonia
MYJAR is a new kind of financial services company, designed for today’s customers. We help people manage their finances by providing responsible short-term loans to reliable borrowers.
Our business began in 2008 and since our inception, we have provided loans with a value of GBP 350M in the UK. Following authorisation by the Financial Conduct Authority, MYJAR is growing very quickly and needs a talented team of specialists to achieve our ambitious goals.
If you are interested in building your career with a dynamic innovative team and strong international investors, this is the right place for you. At MYJAR we work a little differently from other financial service companies. We are committed to providing small amounts of credit responsibly to reliable customers. We treat our customers with respect and appreciate that we exist because of them. We are currently a business of 200 people and operate from offices in the City of London, Jersey, and run a technology, development and customer service center in the vibrant city of Tallinn.
Life at MYJAR
Want to know more about life at MYJAR? You can read more about us on the Jobbatical blog bit.ly/2prowe8
Moving to Estonia
If you hold the passport of a visa-free country, you can start working in Estonia within 24 hours from accepting the job offer, if your new employer is classified as a startup.
If your new employer is not considered a startup, you can start after a maximum of 10 days from accepting the job offer.
If you hold the passport of a country that requires a visa to enter Estonia, you can move and start working within approximately 4 weeks.