in Eindhoven, Netherlands
The technology powering Studyportals’ platform is based on object-oriented PHP7. We are currently transitioning into a service-oriented architecture, powered by our own RESTful API. In parallel we are scaling our infrastructure out into AWS in order to get maximum benefit out of the large variety of infrastructure-as-a-service approaches currently offered. This is were you come in! Read more about Studyportals
- As an experienced software engineer, you understand what it takes to build scalable web applications and realise this means your skills should not be limited to writing good code.
- You are ambitious to reach your goal and are able to work independently as well as with your team.
- You have at least a bachelor’s degree, in computer science or a related field.
- Apart from a proven track-record in creating advanced PHP5/PHP7 applications, you have some background in stricter, object-oriented, languages such as C# or Java.
- You know your way around a MySQL database and its InnoDB storage-engine.
- You have the ability to write valid, semantically correct, HTML7 and CSS3.
- You are comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders as part of your day-to-day work.
- You are fluent in spoken and written English and have excellent communication skills.
- You have an EU/Netherlands work permit.
Compensation & Benefits
- An annual personal development budget, because personal growth is KEY!
- A competitive salary, including an excellent bonus scheme.
- 25 days paid leave.
- Reimbursement of your work-related travel costs.
- A discount for a collective insurance package with IAK, covering public and private insurances from healthcare and home insurance to car and liability insurances.
- Interesting extras such as a laptop of your choice, hackdays, etc...
- The opportunity to make our world a little better and be at the core of the growth phase of a study choice giant that the European market is desperately waiting for.
- A great company environment that is serious about having fun with everything we do, including frequent memorable team events, table tennis, slide, etc.
- Work in an informal, entrepreneurial, and flexible atmosphere where self-initiative is highly appreciated. Apart from your contribution to the company, your personal development has high priority.
- Work in the vibrant Strijp-S area in Eindhoven. An exciting hub of entrepreneurship, technology and design, just 10 minutes from the city centre and 15 minutes from the airport.
Our challenge is to build, adapt, and create the biggest education search platform, bringing absolute transparency and reliability to international education. By understanding the student journey in and out, we’re building platforms (mastersportal.eu or bachelorsportal.com for example) that are valuable to students and agile to the demands of international education. Our focus is therefore fully student/user-centered. We place our entire energy and focus on knowing what students are demanding, allowing them to be the main architects of our online platform. So long as we put the students at centre stage, using their voices and perspectives to guide our product, then we can make a product that is designed especially and exclusively for them.
As back-end developer you will play an important role in further developing and rolling out our RESTful API, which will be at the base of all our current and future products. Your responsibilities range from working on the core of our systems all the way up to producing proof-of-concept web applications. The front-end developers will help you to turn your proof-of-concept applications into true “online experiences”.
You will work in a multidisciplinary scrum team of about five people, taking input from our graphic designers, UX designers and our student- and university value teams in order to realize the best implementations possible. In order to measure our effectiveness we are currently focusing very hard on our continuous deployment process.
About Studyportals in Eindhoven, Netherlands
Studyportals is a fast-growing online platform where students can find and compare their education options internationally.
Our mission is to empower the world to choose education. We focus on quality from both a student as well as a university perspective: offering the best information for students, and low-effort, cost-effective, and result-based marketing for universities.
Over 2,450 universities participate across 67 countries, creating transparency across 117,000+ study programmes. We have a large global visitor base of over 19 million visits every year.
The Studyportals team now consists of over a hundred and seventy people worldwide from 35 different nationalities, and we're expecting to grow the team to about 200 people in the upcoming year. Studyportals proudly ranks 18th in the 2015 Employee satisfaction ranking, an annual survey carried out by SatisAction and the NRC. Our HQ is located in Eindhoven, in the iconic Klokgebouw, at Strijp-S, a hub of entrepreneurship, technology, and design. We also have operations in Boston, Melbourne, Manchester, Stockholm and Bucharest.