Software Engineer - Back-End
Uber offers visa sponsorship
Uber will arrange the immigration paperwork required for the winning candidate and cover the associated costs.
in San Francisco, United States
As a Backend Engineer at Uber, you’ll be working on code that’s closest to the business. Your work will impact live riders, eaters, driver-partners, and operations teams across the globe. Our teams span from the traditional ridesharing business to the new emerging products around Uber Eats, our own Mapping technology, and Self-Driving cars. Read more about Uber
- Minimum 5 years experience as a software engineer
- Expertise in one or more object-oriented programming language (e.g. Python, Go, Java, C++) and the eagerness to learn more
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring, and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Ability to decompose complex business problems and lead a team in solving them
- BS/MS/ Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
You will build user-facing products, handle and store thousands of payment transactions per second, and develop intelligent fraud prevention strategies that scale. From building maps that help move millions of people, to the messaging systems that let us interact with them - the work you do will impact every single Uber request.
Additionally, Uber has a variety of roles and teams for you depending on where your interests match best.
High-performance systems - Experience with building high performance distributed systems that can scale to 100,000s QPS.
Core Infrastructure - Experience with developing and running large-scale distributed storage systems, service-oriented architectures, and reliable monitoring and deployment infrastructure.
Data Processing - experience with building and maintaining large scale and/or real-time complex data processing pipelines using Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Storm, and Zookeeper
Machine Learning - experience with machine learning, information retrieval, algorithmic complexity, data mining, pricing, optimization.
Geospatial - Familiarity with geospatial datasets and services, such as maps, local search, points of interest and business listings data, mobile device location and GPS traces.
About Uber in San Francisco, United States
We believe that by solving some of the biggest problems of our time, we can create a future where there is limitless freedom of movement for people and things all across the world. Just talk to our people — and feel their passion, optimism and curiosity for building solutions every single day on behalf of drivers, riders, couriers, eaters and employees.
While the tough problems we face everyday can be incredibly difficult to figure out, we believe those same problems enable us to personally grow the most. So we welcome people from all backgrounds who have the passion to change the world and also want to help create a supportive and collaborative environment. So that ultimately, we can learn together, solve together, build together, and move the world forward together.
Life at Uber
We’re building something people use everyday. From how you get home from work, to how you eat meals, or how you move huge shipments of absolutely anything, the work we contribute moves the world a few steps forward. And that’s one of the best parts about working here - knowing that the work you do helps shape the future.
And getting to that bright future means solving some of the most difficult problems of the present. It takes a lot of hard work, a lot of love, and support from colleagues all over the world. At Uber, we have brought together a world-class collective of problem solvers. And we all fundamentally understand that tough challenges help us personally grow the most. That’s why we wholeheartedly believe in learning by doing - and that there is no better classroom than real-world experience. Because if it helps you grow, then we all grow. Together.
Every day we’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale—celebrating the communities where we exist, energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world. The impact is visible and measurable, and that drives us to keep moving forward.