Senior Site Reliability Engineer
in Berlin, Germany
Zalando wants you to help optimize the availability, reliability, and efficiency of their services. Do you have the makings of this fantastic team's senior site reliability engineer? Read on and find out! Read more about Zalando
- Innovate, design, and implement solutions to maintain the availability, reliability, and efficiency of the services offered by Zalando Payments, communicating effectively with our engineering teams to make it happen
- Keep our mission-critical systems up and running, automating all handling of failure conditions
- Capacity planning, definition of service level indicators, and analysis of system performance
- Periodic on-call duty
- Plan and conduct fire drills (failure testing) with teams
- Sound knowledge of designing cloud architectures and experience with cloud platforms, preferably AWS
- Track record of developing and operating internet-scale applications
- Analytical thinking
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership, entrepreneurial thinking, and ability to drive SRE initiatives across teams
- Ability to concentrate when it comes to firefighting, and the ambition to make this unnecessary
- Knowledge of the JVM ecosystem and good coding skills in at least one such language
- Good understanding of Linux, networking, databases, etc.
- Degree in computer science
- Experience with FinTech a plus
- A competitive salary, Zalando shopping discount and commuter discount, and relocation assistance for international hires
- One-month mentoring program; personal branding support from preparing tech talks and blog posts to networking with industry leaders
- Community: hack weeks, movie nights, coder dojos, +70 self-organized tech guilds and more
- Internal tech talks, skills-building courses and technical “People Leads” who help you achieve mastery
Senior site reliability engineering (SRE) is a new approach to scaling up highly available systems, originally introduced by Google and embraced by many successful players running internet-scale systems, like Zalando. SRE encompasses several practices aimed at creating and operating scalable, reliable, and efficient architectures, including the definition and measurement of service level indicators and objectives, assessing and managing risk, forecasting demand and planning compute capacity, etc. If you've not heard about this, you should definitely look into it, regardless of whether or not you apply for this position!
At Zalando Payments, we process all financial transactions of Zalando’s fashion store and other consumer-facing apps. From a flawless user experience at check-out to payments processing to reconciliation in the back end, we cover the entire financial process to boost conversion and deliver a competitive advantage to our customers through smart risk steering.
Within Zalando Payments, you will work with many ambitious and skilled autonomous teams building and operating our microservices-based platform. We are embedded in the larger context of Zalando Tech and live up to the spirit of what we call Radical Agility—our culture that focuses on autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
Please note that this role requires you to join us in Berlin. We welcome applicants from all over the world and will provide visa sponsorship to the right candidate!
About Zalando in Berlin, Germany
Zalando is Europe’s leading online fashion platform, with about 19 million active customers in 15 countries. Our tech department has built most of our platform in-house, using open source and cutting-edge technologies such as Scala, Cassandra, Clojure, and React.js. We work in small, agile, autonomous teams and follow principles that enable us to produce the most delightful shopping experiences possible.
What does it take to become “a Zalando”? Above all, it requires passion: to experiment, learn, fail, and repeat the process, so that we get stronger and better every day. Zalando Tech includes men and women from more than 50 different nations and representing a seemingly endless number of interests, hobbies, programming language preferences, personality types and other characteristics. What unites us is the energy and enthusiasm we share in tackling our common purpose: to deliver award-winning, best-in-class shopping experiences to our 19 million active customers.
Moving to Germany
If you hold the passport of a visa-free country, you can start working in Germany within 14-60 working days. If you need a visa to enter Germany, the visa processing time will be added to that.