Think you have what it takes to be a real product engineer and not just a coder? Want to make a real difference in people's lives and build a modern international financial institution better than any existing ones? Then search no more! You've met your match in TransferWise. Join their cool engineering team in the great city of Budapest.
TransferWise is an international money transfer start-up co-founded by Skype’s first employee and backed by some of planet's most experienced innovators, including Sir Richard Branson and PayPal founder Peter Thiel.
We’re not a bank. Not even close. In fact, we’re pretty much the opposite.
We are the clever new alternative to banks and brokers, that allows people to transfer money abroad at a lower cost than ever before by disrupting the industry through using only real exchange rates and tiny non-hidden-fees. In a nutshell we make a real difference in people's lives through removing all the wrongness from money transfers by being fair and transparent.
Our great customers have already moved more than £1bn using the platform - an approach that has put over £45m back in their pockets and which is flipping a gazillion dollar industry on its head.
As a Java Engineer at TransferWise, you will work towards making our product the best that it can be. Here, more than in any other place, you'll have the chance to take on the challenge of being a real product engineer and not just a coder. And you will do this within a flat organisational structure, meaning you'll be someone who is unconcerned with titles and hierarchy. What really excites you is problem-solving and delivering innovative technology that makes a real difference in people's lives.
We are currently growing at breathtaking speed and our strong engineering team is the heart of this growth. So to join this great team, we expect from you solid architectural decisions, rock hard integrity and clean code.
- Solving complex technical puzzles on a daily basis through hands-on coding within automation, scalability and speed related projects
- Figure out the best product decisions based on feedback we get from our customers
- Thinking how we can get the most relevant feedback, how we can develop our product in a way that it will boost future development and how we can maximise & track the impact of our product in the lives of our customers
- Strong experience with JVM and with Spring Boot & Grails frameworks preferably
- Previous exposure to Microservices architecture environments
- Good with MySQL and other database management systems
- Experience (back-end focus preferably) with scalability and security topics within high performance and low latency environments
- Exposure to Test Driven Development (TDD), A/B testing and Minimum Viable Product (MVP) approaches
- Docker and/or Kafka knowledge, experience with automated testing and testing scenarios all within Agile organisations (even better if start-up environments) will be a big plus
- A FinTech background, sleeping with a copy of "Clean Code” under your pillow and strong sense of humour will also be very much appreciated
- Very competitive salary package
- Personal development budget
- A great stock options plan
- All-expenses-paid company holiday once per year
- Flexible working hours, a sexy laptop, free team lunches and a very cool office