We've got a legitimately awesome tech team. They're always very polite and never really seem to mind when the rest of us ask questions about "this computer stuff." Now we're on the lookout for a chief technology officer to take the lead and make sure the team stays awesome.
At Jobbatical, we think beyond borders and help the world work together. We believe the world really is your oyster and your next career step could be combined with your travel aspirations. We believe that the traditional 9-to-5 work model is fading away and that people want to join mission-driven teams, wherever they are in the world.
We want to encourage individuals and employers to be honest about their commitments to each other. It's our goal to encourage companies to set aside cultural biases and hire the people with the best skill set for the job. We follow the same principles in recruiting for our own team—we don't discriminate based on nationality, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or anything else that doesn't have anything to do with the role you'll be filling.
CTO? More like CT—OMG! Because that's how we'll react when we see your application.
In all seriousness, if you choose to accept this mission, you'll be the one leading our technical roadmap and taking responsibility for the evolution, development, and delivery of our core platform and architecture. We'll trust you to have what it takes to empower a team and communicate effectively. So if you like—no, if you love the idea of having a significant impact on the company and the future of a next-generation product in the talent acquisition industry, carry on reading!
You're the kind of person who thinks about tech in business terms, and business in tech terms—you can’t make a tech decision without considering the business implications, or a business decision without thinking of the tech implications.
Our current team is pretty amazing. They’re not just great at coding, they’re incredible people to boot. We want them to grow and feel challenged, as well as have an interesting and manageable workload. That's where your innate leadership ability comes in. You know how to ask the right questions to lead developers and managers to solutions that are elegant, scalable, and exciting.
To fit this team like a glove, you absolutely need to be kind, honest, and humble. If we aren’t honest about where we’re failing, we can’t grow. But if we can’t be kind while being honest, we won’t thrive. And we really want to do both! We believe that humility is one of the keys to great leadership, so massive egos need not apply.
- Build, inspire and coach the technology team
- Mentor the technology team in translating the overall strategy into specific objectives, products, and services, to deliver a high-quality product that supports our mission
- Grow and build our technology infrastructure
- Anticipate technology scale and capability challenges and address them with clear plans
- Own and drive technical organization integrity
- Work closely with product management to transform requirements into technical specifications and software designs
- Create a healthy collaborative environment with shared ownership and commitment around product development goals
- Design and implement an effective organizational structure that supports maximum communication and effective execution of initiatives
- Work closely with project management to turn priorities and requirements into plans that optimize resources and set appropriate expectations
- Oversee development of key performance metrics such as site availability and responsiveness, bug response time, code review response time
- Evaluate and optimize the feature prioritization process
- Evaluate and optimize the engineering development lifecycle
- Evaluate and optimize workflows/methodologies
- Build technical strategies and roadmaps for the product
- Help plan and oversee migration from local servers to the cloud
- Interview the entire team to identify areas of concern
- Take over 1-on-1 discussions with the engineering team and data team lead
- Discuss SEO strategy and review SEO architecture
- Discuss analytics strategy, including A/B testing, etc.
- Lead the technical discussions in product planning
- You're familiar with cloud computing, building and managing big data systems.
- You are an excellent communicator in writing and in person, both inside the team and out of it.
- You have the capacity to act as a true mentor and coach for your team.
- You have some experience with growing a startup team.
- We'll offer you a competitive local salary and equity.
- Your health insurance will be covered.
- You'll get some nice fun perks like books and Uber rides to make life a bit easier.
- We'll cover the travel costs associated with your relocation, as well as your accommodation for the first month.