This role is for someone with some serious experience under their belt. If you've seen your share of complex development projects over the years, we recommend you take a look at what Zalando has got in store for you in Germany's vibrant capital!
Zalando is Europe’s leading online fashion platform, with about 19 million active customers in 15 countries. Our tech department has built most of our platform in-house, using open source and cutting-edge technologies such as Scala, Cassandra, Clojure, and React.js. We work in small, agile, autonomous teams and follow principles that enable us to produce the most delightful shopping experiences possible.
What does it take to become “a Zalando”? Above all, it requires passion: to experiment, learn, fail, and repeat the process, so that we get stronger and better every day. Zalando Tech includes men and women from more than 50 different nations and representing a seemingly endless number of interests, hobbies, programming language preferences, personality types and other characteristics. What unites us is the energy and enthusiasm we share in tackling our common purpose: to deliver award-winning, best-in-class shopping experiences to our 19 million active customers.
Zalando is stepping into new adventures. Framed by our overarching strategy to move from an online retail company to a fashion platform, we build new businesses and offerings for numerous players on the fashion market. The technical basis for that will be a powerful architecture based on microservices and a cloud-based infrastructure.
We are now searching for a senior software architect to join our newly established architecture team. Our aim is to help Zalando with its further growth by supporting different teams in solution design development and technology prototyping.
The job is yours if you can impress us with 8+ years professional hands-on experience as a (senior) engineer and architect in complex development projects of non-small scale companies in the internet domain like e-commerce, software or infrastructure as a service (SaaS, PaaS), or similar.
You have gained operational experience in distributed large-scale applications with high scaling, availability and performance requirements running on cloud-based infrastructure. Experience as an engineering (team) lead would be a big plus.
Our recipe for success: think big and act fast. What you're doing today will affect millions of customers tomorrow. At Zalando, you have the chance to work on the world's best online fashion experience in a rapidly growing international company.
Please note that this role requires you to join us in Berlin. We welcome applicants from all over the world and will provide visa sponsorship for the right candidate!
- You’ll provide hands-on support on complex business solution and technology piloting projects.
- You’ll act as architect consultant and peer review partner for various teams as well as a mentor and evangelist of architecture principles and visions.
- You’ll drive Zalando’s API Guild, Tech Radar and Architecture principles in our polyglot (Scala, Java, Clojure, Python, etc.) and heterogeneous system environment.
- You’ll cultivate and disseminate knowledge and best practices on architecture and design development within the engineering organization.
- You’ll be the owner of Zalando’s global architecture documentation and ensure its consistency and alignment with different engineering stakeholders.
- You’ll embrace architecture development as a team game and share your knowledge through coaching, peer reviews, articles and tech talks.
- (Mobile) web applications and services
- Microservice architecture and Restful API design
- Java and JVM based languages, like Scala
- SQL and Non-SQL databases (like Cassandra, Hadoop, Spark)
- Event data processing (like Kafka, Storm, event sourcing)
- Large-scale applications on cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS
- Open source technologies
- Brilliant at architecture documentation, balancing technical trade-offs and delivering technical presentations
- Clear communication with strong analytical skills and ability to reduce complexity
- Competitive salary, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, public transport discounts, relocation assistance for internationals, free drinks and fruits, hardware of your choice.
- Tour of Mastery, extensive onboarding, personal branding support, opportunity to attend and speak at data science conferences and meetups, and encouragement to publish work.
- Tech culture of trust and empowerment, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, +100 internal technical and fun guilds, tech talks, product demos, Coderdojos, parties and events.
- Self-organized, autonomous teams and flexible working hours.
- Unparalleled levels of data and opportunities.